October 7, 2008

NO MLK DAY??

Now since I don't like to harp on things, I'm going to make this short and sweet. It's been really working my nerves that I remember the name John McCain from earlier in life.. prior to him running for office of president. You know that feeling where you feel like you know someone, but can't put your finger on where it was you met or knew them from? Yeah well - I've been pondering this question for a few weeks and last night I had an epiphany... I remember this creaton from his veto of a bill that would have made Martin Luther King Day a holiday in Arizona. McCain has since changed his view on the subject - but to me only slightly:

“I voted in my…first year in Congress against it and then I began to learn and I studied and people talked to me. And I not only supported it but I fought very hard in my home state of Arizona for recognition against a governor who was of my own party,” McCain said during a media availability aboard his plane Monday (video above). “I had not been involved in the issue. I had come from being in the military to running for Congress in a state that did not have a very large African American population and it had not been in issue. It just simply had not been.”

In his first year in the U.S. House, McCain voted with the minority and opposed the 1983 law creating the national holiday to honor King, but reversed his decision around 1990 after he says he “learned” more about King’s achievements. As he fought for an Arizona state ballot measure to recognize MLK Day in 1990, McCain successfully pushed former President Reagan to endorse the referendum.

Source

Let's just be clear.. you voted against it in 1983, then conveniently changed your mind in 1990 after "educating" yourself on the subject, but now in 2008 you want to smear Obama and accuse him of palling around with terrorists? My fear is that if this guy gets into office, not only will the stock market continue to fail, people lose their homes, but we may also be looking at him whimsically changing his mind and ridding us of this historic holiday. Folks this election is getting deep, and I urge you to watch tonight's second debate between Obama/McCain... this is our future at stake...

No comments: